A new year, an old dream

On old dream, you may ask, what does that have to do with the start of the new school year?  Well, let me tell you.
Each fall as school is starting here at TVCC for the new year, the Library gets very excited because, the first week of the term nearly always coincides with national Banned Books Week.  And this is something that we like very much to celebrate.  Celebrate banned books?  Yes!!  Not the banning of them, no.  We celebrate that we have the freedom to read and learn about whatever we choose, a freedom embedded in teh First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.  This may seem odd to some of you, that it is a freedom which needs to be acknowledged.  Yet, every year in the U.S. and across the world, books are challenged and banned. 
A challenge is when someone asks for the book to be removed from the shelves of a library and therefore access to the book forbidden to all who may want to read it.  Does this still happen?  Why yes, it does.  During the 2012-13 school year, here are some of the books that were challenged or banned in the United States.
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
Nickel and Dimed: on (not) getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Looking for Alaska by John Green
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Different Seasons by Stephen King
500 Years of Chicano History in Pictures by Elizabeth Martinez
Beloved by Toni Morrison
A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer
Fight Club by Chuck Palaniuk
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
Waterland by Graham Swift
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
...and many more.


All of this titles you will find on our Library shelves.  We are very committed to ensuring your access to whatever materials you would like to read or learn about.  We also feel it is very important that you have quality points of view from many sides on topics that you will learn about.  This, for us, is what Banned Books Week is all about. 
And now for the fun part....this week, beginning today, we will be giving out daily prizes as well as a fabulous grand prize.  You can enter by filling out an entry in the library, commenting here, or on our Facebook page.  We want to know what your favorite banned book is and why you like it.  That's all.  Leave us a comment here and you'll be entered.  Not sure if you have a favorite?  Check out this list of banned titles.
Banned Classics
Most Frequently banned or challenged titles
Most recently banned
Come see us and browse our Banned displays.

Comments

monica Burmeister said…
my Favorite Band book has to be A Child Called It. When I was younger I used to think my life was hard and sucked. but then I read this book and realized compared to his life mine was a dream come true. Even now when I read it I cry I am a mom of two girls and I wonder why anyone would want to hurt their child so much.
Unknown said…
My favorite is Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. The most recent banning was in 1998 at West Marion High School in Foxworth, Mississippi for offensive language.
Michell Schneider
leena said…
My favorite banned book is Fifty Shades of Grey. I really enjoyed this book because the other really makes all of the characters relatable. I also believe that if one looks past all the sexual parts to the message behind it, there is a part of each character that we can all relate to and learn from.
Unknown said…
I cannot believe how much the equal rights for everyone still seems to play into this list! Crazy!
Heather
Bren105 said…
After looking at the classic 100 list of banned books I have read all but 10 of these books and many are favorites. Books can depict violent or disturbing scenes and language that may offend some readers; this is to depict an imperfect world and to challenge the reader to think, feel and act. Would you ban the Bible?
Hey my name is Guadalupe Velasquez,
My favorite banned book is Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare. Who would want to ban a book that is so similar to life? Two people who are born natural enemies coming together as one. You can see this happen in Social classes. ( high class- low class)
steffani said…
i am torn about witch of the banned books are my favorite i love several of the books on this list. If i have to choose i would say that my two favorites would have to be Romeo and Juliet because it is the first Shakespear story i ever read. My second favorite would be a child called it because it shows how strong and resilient people are as well as the atrocities that humans are willing to inflict on those weaker than ourselves.
Unknown said…
I must admit there were not too many books I have read on the banned list. As far as banned books and censorship it happens everyday in every enviornment for we even censor ourselves. I think most people can agree censorship is needed at times but what we can not agree on is who should do the censoring and when. My favorite on the list has to be the Grapes of Wrath. When grandpa dies and is buried makes me tear up. I just think how rough it was and blessed I am.
Unknown said…
I must admit there were not too many books I have read on the banned list. As far as banned books and censorship it happens everyday in every enviornment for we even censor ourselves. I think most people can agree censorship is needed at times but what we can not agree on is who should do the censoring and when. My favorite on the list has to be the Grapes of Wrath. When grandpa dies and is buried makes me tear up. I just think how rough it was and blessed I am.

Popular Posts