All about the Book...

I am always amazed when I hear that someone doesn't read or doesn't like books. Maybe because I've always been such a passionate reader that I'm stunned when people say they don't like books. One of the biggest lessons that I've learned since becoming a librarian is that there literally is a book out there for everyone. If you don't think you like to read, you just haven't found the right book yet. We'd love to help you with this. I really feel that this is the greatest challenge, and most rewarding part of this job... to help an individual really connect with a book and reading.

I was reading this week, the monthly newsletter from abebooks.com and really enjoyed one of the articles. Here are a few excerpts that I wanted to share... from
Death of the Book?by Richard Davies.
"People have been forecasting the end of the book for as long as books have been around. Recent threats include cinema, television, video games, and the Internet. And you know what? It’s all a myth.... the book is alive and well, and bigger and better than ever. We regularly see reports that books are threatened and reading is declining. There have been two major ones in recent months and the media is always quick to seize on these stories. But you know what? I think the death of the book has been greatly exaggerated. The book remains arguably the most perfect - and most comforting - of all technologies. We don’t see that changing any time soon."

I loved this! I've recently heard from a couple of people that they think libraries will soon become extinct in the world of cyberspace, but I don't believe it. Mostly because, in this age of information bombardment, few people are dedicated to help y
ou navigate through it and find truly good information. Librarians are. None of this is meant to over-glamorize our place in the world, but to encourage you all to use the resources available to you. We are here to help. For those of you who haven't taken the Library Research Class, I greatly encourage you take the time. It's an excellent opportunity to learn how to get good, credible information, do research, and will save you hours of time searching for sources. Plus, you can ask as many questions as you want! The sooner in the term you take it, the more beneficial it is to you as well. We offer it three times a week every week, and it is about 45 minutes long. The class is held in the Library Tuesdays at 7 p.m., Wednesdays at 12 p.m., and Thursdays at 2 p.m. Just stop at the front desk and let us know you are there.

Comments

Popular Posts