Still I rise

The month of February is traditionally honored as Black History Month in the United States. In keeping with that theme, I was looking for someone who has been an inspiring Black writer to fill our Author of the Month slot. I came up with many. For you, I've narrowed it down to two outstanding women who have written wonderful books and are favorites here among the Library Staff. The first is Maya Angelou, who has lived a life full of inspiration from her vast body of written works, her struggles and family trials, to the activism that she practices fighting for civil rights. Maya Angelou's life alone will move you, and if you haven't read it, I recommend her autobiography "I know why the caged bird sings," and it's sequels "Gather together in my name" and "The heart of a woman." Each of these are very moving and powerful works that capture the essence of struggle and the power to overcome. Equally moving are Miss Angelou's poems, such as the inspiration for today's blog, "Still I rise." The words of this poem travel through the trials of many black women, remaining relevant to all of us with the defiant spirit that says despite all that happens to me, still I rise. Here's a couple of excerpt that will give you a taste...
You may write me down in history / With your bitter, twisted lies, / You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.
Just like moons and like suns, / With the certainty of tides, / Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

For more bio information on Maya Angelou, click here. You can also find more of her poems available online at www.poemhunter.com.
I also wanted to include Toni Morrison in our February Author of the Month category. She is another amazing black woman author whose body of work can stand alone and teach each one of us something. Toni Morrison was the first black woman to receive the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1993, and it was an honor much deserved. If you haven't yet become a fan, I really encourage you to pick up any of her novels. They are quick and easy reads, and at the same time will challenge both what you know and what you see in the people around you.
The Library has several book by these woman and we are sure we can find one to suit you. Please come by and visit us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Comments

Popular Posts