Winter Library Contest


I love February because it is Awards month. Yes, I'm talking about Hollywood's glitz and glam walk down the red carpet to the Golden Globes, SAGs, Grammy Awards and of course the Academy Awards. Maybe you don't get all aflutter about who wore what or the fabulous shoes Gwyneth Paltrow had on during her performance at the Grammy Awards this year like I do. Still there are lots of reasons for watching. I personally have a few favorite speeches that stand out over the years that were worth watching. My top three....Gwyneth Paltrow's Oscar for "Shakespeare in Love", Reese Witherspoon's Oscar speech for "Walk the Line", and of course Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's Oscar acceptance for their song "Falling Slowly" (the performance can be found on YouTube too and is worth the watch).
What does this have to do with the contest, you may be wondering. Well, inspired by the season the Library staff have been talking about our favorite book/movie combinations. We are compiling a list of our favorites, but we would like to know yours. Write in or post here your favorite book made into a movie and why you like it. We'll compile a list of student favorites and share them with you. So again, all you have to do to be qualified to win gift cards and a set of the top selling book series from 2010 is send us your favorite book/movie combos and why. You can send in as many as you'd like. All entries are due by March 2nd. We'll draw for the winning entry and post it on March 4th. We look forward to hearing what you come up with.
Did you know, all the movies nominated for Best Picture at this year's Oscars are based on books?

Comments

Matt Berryman said…
One of the best book/movie combos is the Shawshank Redemption based on Stephen Kings's Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. I am little bias though as I once wrote a 10 page research paper on it. The movie is very close to the book, expect there are a few wardens in the book and the main character is Irish which explain the thats why they call me Red joke in the movie.
Unknown said…
My favorite is Little Women. It was well represented in the movie. Brought the book to life.
Elisa Blickenstaff
RaNae said…
I could not decide which movie/book combination would be my favorite. I am submitting my top 10 picks:
The Harry Potter Series-a great fantasy for young and old to read or watch.
Twilight Series-although I do not care for vampire movies or books, this is a good love story.
Cujo-because this really could happen.
Blindside-shows what people could really help each other accomplish.
Polar Express-captures the childhood spirit of believing in Santa.
Lonesome Dove-the best cowboy story ever told.
Titanic-combines an actual event with a love story.
The Green Mile- is Stephen King at his best.
Secretariat-an inspiring story of the fastest race horse that ever lived.
The Narnia Series-helped my children discover the joy of reading for pleasure.
Unknown said…
I've fallen in love with the Scarlet Pimpernel movie and book. They managed to hilariously pull the movie off.
Sarah said…
Generally, I believe that the books are better than the movies based off of them, simply because Hollywood never does it right. However, there are plenty of book/movie combos that I have enjoyed. Here's a list of them.

1) Twilight - I've always been a huge Twilight fan. I just love the characters and the storyline.
2) Harry Potter - I grew up with these books, pretty much. I think I was ten or eleven when the first one came out.
3) The Princess Bride - This is one movie based off a book where I actually enjoyed the movie more than the book, though it was a close call. They are both hilarious.
4) The Notebook - An amazingly sweet book and movie. Loved them both!
5) Tuesdays with Morrie - I loved this book and movie. They both brought tears to my eyes.
6) Marley & Me - Hilarious. I was laughing the whole time with this storyline.
7) Percy Jackson - Even though this book series was geared toward a younger audience, I was hooked on them the moment I started reading the first one. Really good, and the movie was really good, too. Amazing actors.
Unknown said…
My favorites are The Other Bolyn Girl Philippa Gregory is Awesome and it was great to see a new twist on a story we have all heard a thousand times.
Karen said…
Karen Mettler

My favorite Book made to a Movie
My favorite book that was made into a movie was Anne of Green Gable, I have enjoyed watching this little girl, Anne live though all her catastrophes and how she got out of her many scrapes. This story drew my attention how this little girl had such a wonderful way of embellishing the English language and never gave up looking for the best in life. She had a wonderful zest for life. Anne would read when she could, but lived as a servant girl, because her parents died of the fever when she was an infant. Because of circumstances she ends up at the asylum where orphans used to live in Canada, she gets the best break in her life when she goes back there. She gets to live with a spinster and her brothers that live together. The spinster, Morella, wanted a boy; however, with a turn of events Morella and her brother, Mathew comes to love Anne as their own child. This child, Anne blooms into a beautiful and productive person that touches the lives of many people as she grows-up

Popular Posts