Blood, monsters, gods, enduring love...

Okay, admit it, some of you assumed I was talking about the Twilight saga or something similar. No, I'm talking about my newest summer read that I share with hearty recommendations. If you've read Twilight and are looking for something new or have no desire to read the aforementioned vampire books but enjoy the mystical, fantastical, or just a good suspense drama this book is for you. What is it? None other than the debut novel of Maria Dahvana Headley about the life of Cleopatra, Queen of Kings. Having read Maria's first nonfiction work, The Year of Yes, which was a wonderful read that had me laughing from page one, Queen of Kings was a surprise. Deeply rooted in history and ancient literature, the story of Cleopatra is one we have all heard or know something of. Ms. Headley asks the question, "What if Cleopatra didn't die?" Taking the age-old story, she turns Cleopatra into a story more fantastic and heart-stopping than you could imagine. I found myself up in the early morning hours reading out of desperation to find out what happens next. Each page is full of history, beauty, and suspense, leaving one breathless at the end and eager for more. This is the first installment in what is to be a trilogy that I cannot wait to finish. Pick it up in the Library today!

For more on the life of Cleopatra we also have the new biography, Cleopatra by Pulitzer Prize Winner Stacy Schiff. Also an excellent and fascinating read.

Comments

Popular Posts